Old July 6th 05, 01:22 AM
CH

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:11:17 -0400, James C. Reeves wrote:

> "CH" > wrote in message
> news

>> The average Joe Blow doesnt even think about their lights when they
>> don't have automatic headlights. If I had a dollar for every bozo, who
>> drives around with their lights off even halfway during dusk, I'd buy a
>> nice little island, Hawaii maybe...
>>

> I disagree.

That's your right.

> The average Joe Blow does indeed think about their lights. Witness the
> non GM vehicles that DO have their lights on in fog/snow/rain with a
> manual only switch vs. the GM vehicles that don't with the auto system.

Around here I cannot see a significant difference, except that GM vehicles
tend to have their lights on at dusk unlike a lot of the non-auto
headlight cars.

> Having said that, it is hardly a
> good reason to make it a requirement of the rest of us.

Say, where do you all of sudden get this 'requirement' thing from? I
merely state that the auto headlights have advantages and that the
question of whether or not one wants to have one, is a question of
personal preference.

> Remember, the vehicle lighting laws in most places (at least the one's
> I've read) clearly states that the responsibility for proper vehicle
> lighting usage is the drivers, not the vehicle manufacturer. Auto
> systems are fine IF the driver chooses to relinquish said control to the
> auto system. For drivers that do not agree to relinquish said control,
> the manufacturer should provide a total override capability. Most
> manufacturers (except GM) do.

You always have the choice of buying a non-GM car if you don't like GM
cars. I don't see a reason, why GM would make an override system for the
handful of people, who see their manhood in jeopardy over the question,
who may turn on their headlights.

> Enforcement would be the best approach.

There are too many laws already, why would you want something that minor
cast into legalese? It's really not that difficult, walk into a Toyota or
Honda dealership and buy one of their cars, if you don't like GM. The
choice is yours.

Chris