Old July 6th 05, 01:11 AM
James C. Reeves

"CH" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 17:09:43 -0400, James C. Reeves wrote:
>
>> "CH" > wrote in message

>>> And if it is
>>> not dark enough for the headlights to turn on automatically, there is a
>>> nifty little switch on the left side of the steering wheel, that allows
>>> me to turn on the headlights manually.

>> The problem is that the average "joe blow" driver that drives a car with
>> "auto" light control system (none work properly, BTW) no longer thinks
>> about their lights.

> The average Joe Blow doesnt even think about their lights when they don't
> have automatic headlights. If I had a dollar for every bozo, who drives
> around with their lights off even halfway during dusk, I'd buy a nice
> little island, Hawaii maybe...

I disagree. The average Joe Blow does indeed think about their lights.
Witness the non GM vehicles that DO have their lights on in fog/snow/rain
with a manual only switch vs. the GM vehicles that don't with the auto
system. One can't argue with the reality of the situation. I will agree,
however, that there is a small percentage of driver that doesn't. For that
small percentage, the "auto" system would probably be better than nothing
(for them..but only them). Having said that, it is hardly a good reason to
make it a requirement of the rest of us. Remember, the vehicle lighting
laws in most places (at least the one's I've read) clearly states that the
responsibility for proper vehicle lighting usage is the drivers, not the
vehicle manufacturer. Auto systems are fine IF the driver chooses to
relinquish said control to the auto system. For drivers that do not agree
to relinquish said control, the manufacturer should provide a total override
capability. Most manufacturers (except GM) do.

Enforcement would be the best approach.