Old November 24th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,alt.autos.toyota
C. E. White[_1_]

Default Best no BS motor oil/filter comparison?

"Mark A" > wrote in message
.. .
> "C. E. White" > wrote in message
>> Maybe, maybe not. Honda has sold Fram filters in the past labeled
>> as Honda filters. Fram is not my favorite choice even if it says
>> Honda on the outside.

> Fram makes a wide variety of oil filters, some sold under their own
> brand, and some sold under other brands.
>
> Most people agree that the lowest price Fram filter (About $2.50 at
> discount stores) is of questionable quality, but the one that sells
> for about $11.00 is quite good. It is unwise to lump all Fram
> filters into the same category.

I am mainly interested in filters for the vehicles I own or regularly
service - Fords, Toyotas, a Nissan, and a Mazda. For the Fords, from
what I have seen, the $3.28 Motorcraft FL820S Filter is better than
the best Fram equivalent, the TG2, which cost $6.15 the last time I
bought one. The TG2 is only marginally better than the lower priced,
but used by the same applications, Fram PH2 ($3.77) yet cost 40% more.
Now maybe for some other applications, the Fram filters are not so
obviously inferior. But for the applications I care about, Fram
filters are not my choice.

Ed