Old June 16th 05, 04:50 PM
Joe Pfeiffer

MoPar Man > writes:

> Drivers are being advised to start paying attention to the age of
> their tires.
>
> Ford has begun urging drivers to replace tires after six years,
> regardless of wear.

Wish I'd been thinking in those terms a month ago. Tires with less
than 5000 miles, but over six years old, and I had a tread separation
just outside Austin. Cost me a fender skirt and a wheel cover on my
'78 Newport, (anybody out there got a hex dome type wheel cover,
Chrysler part numbers 3699496 (cover) + 3880842 (cap), Hollander
interchange 397A?

I'd felt a little vibration a week before, and had my tire shop look
at them. They noticed they needed rebalancing, but didn't notice
anything else. Oops.

My original factory space-saver spare is now in my garage, and a real
spare is now in my trunk...
skype: jjpfeifferjr