Old July 5th 12, 09:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Default Curiouser and curiouser

Jeez, its quite!. After very much longer than I care to admit I twigged that
the cause of my T3 being reluctant to start when hot may have nothing to do
with carburation.
Taking the other approach I decided to look at ignition electrics.
Ignition is fed by a relay under back seat energised by original feed from
ignition switch.
Measured voltage at the battery with ignition on, points closed, no starter
and its 12.5 volts. Measured voltage at "+" of ignition coil with same
conditions and its 10.5 volts!. Two volts dropped across ~ 2 meters of
cable, an in line fuse, relay contacts and various crimp connectors.
Confirmed it with a meter from battery to coil positive. =2 volts drop.
With the starter on I,d be looking at another 2 volt drop giving ~8 volts
to ignition making starting suspect .
Soldered all crimp connections, the two volt drop went down to 0.5 volts,
car starts fine , hot ot cold.
All crimp connectors were industrial quality, the correct size, the
crimps made by decent crimpers, cable clean . I,ve been in electronics for
45 years and on appearances I would have said it looked perfect.
You,d think at 64 y.o you would have heard most things but obviously not!.
John