Old January 9th 09, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.honda
Eeyore

Default Some states want to punish fuel-efficient car drivers!

Mike Hunter wrote:

> Lets see if I understand this. I live in Oregon and I have two vehicles,
> one weighs 2,000 LB, the other weighs 3,000 LB. one gets 20 MPG, and the
> other gets 35 MPG, doing 60 MPH on the interstate. I pay MORE in gas taxes
> for the one than the other, per 100 miles driven, right?
>
> The one that gets 35 MPG has only two seats, the other seats seven. I
> have a wife and four children, all of us can NOT travel in the one that gets
> 20 MPG. If I must take us all, 100 miles away, to my in-laws house. I
> need to make five trips in both directions with one, at total of ten trips
> and only one each way with the other, for a total of two.
>
> Now my question is, which situation would cause the most damage when I'm on
> that trip and should I sell the one that weighs 2,000 LB and gets 20 MPG to
> pay the per mile tax and keep the other because I have a wife on four
> children or should just keep the one that weighs 2,000 LB and gets 20 MPG
> and just leave my wife and kids, as well as Oregon?

If you lived in Europe, your MPV (as we call them)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-purpose_vehicle

Would probably get 30 mpg and have a nice torquey diesel engine. And the state
would get even less tax.

My opinion. Roads should be provided as essential infrastructure and not ties
too taxes.

Graham