Old November 10th 04, 12:37 PM
Richard Sperry

There is nothing exact about trying to guess with mileage. I would suspect,
Front-
lower control arm bushings, and ball joints. a good time to replace the
whole lca. The lca from a 95 ///M3 has offset bushings that help steering
turn in a lot.
tie rods
If the shocks haven't been changes, I would bet they are very tired also.
along with the anti roll bar bushings

Rear-
Rear shock mounts
rear trailing arm bushings (RTABs)
shocks
rear subframe bushings.

All of this is subject to change based on actual inspection, but they are
wear items. All of it is really easy to DIY with the exception of the RTABs.

As for the offset. Stock for the E36 15x7 in wheel is 47mm for the ///M3
17x7.5 is 41mm. so... Just about any wheel 7" to 8.5" with an offset from 35
to 45 should work. It will really depend on what size tire you are trying to
use. my 95 ///M3 uses 17x 7.5" wheels with 235-40-17 tires on all 4 corners.
later models used 7.5" front and 8.5" rear wheels with 225-40 and 245-40
tires with 41mm offset. Whew!.. The guys at Tire Rack really know what works
on the E36, give them a call.

Rich