Old May 24th 04, 01:08 AM
Greg O

"Steve" > wrote in message
om...
> Would it hurt to carry 1700lbs (of solid metal, literally) in the back
> of a V-6, 200 horsepower 1/2 ton pickup? I know that 1700lbs is more
> than 1/2 a ton, but I'm not sure if that's an accurate way to measure
> a truck's carrying capabilities. I know that I can tow more than
> 1700lbs...but is it safe to carry that much weight in the back of the
> truck?
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Steve

The only way to know is to check the door sticker, but most 1/2 ton pickups
are rated for somewhere around 1500 LBS+/- so you may not be that far over.
It also depends on how often you plan on hauling this much weight. If it is
a one time thing I doubt you will damage anything. If you plan on doing it
on a daily basis the truck will suffer a bit.
Greg