Old January 2nd 10, 02:57 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

Default new Honda CR-V break in

jim beam > wrote in news:Kf-
:

> [much to the delight of "crv guy" no doubt] i actually disregard factory
> oil pan plug torque. 45N.m is very high for something with a soft
> aluminum crush washer under it. i use ~30N.m and have never had a
> thread strip, nor a plug loosen or leak. replicate at your own risk.

I've used the factory washer and torque setting of 33 ft/lbs (45 Nm) for
close to ten years now. The six years prior to that I mostly used a fiber
washer and 20 ft/lbs.

My suspicion is that oil pan thread stripping is due to /severe/
overtightening, not adherence to the factory setting.

I also suspect the factory beefed up the threads on pans made after 1991 by
using a slightly heavier gauge of steel for the thread insert.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/