Old December 5th 10, 08:25 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

Default Anyone got any thoughts on PS3/GT5?

(petergagg) wrote:

> You have to take it for what it is, eg: a console based racing
> game, and once accepted, simply enjoy what it does.

Thanks for your thoughts Peter, and nice to see you still lurking. I thought you'd
given the PC side of things up completely. :-)

> NB: I am using the standard PS3 controller with GT5

I nearly cracked yesterday and hit the buy button on a very good Amazon deal where
you get a 320Gb version for the price of a 120 when buying the GT5 bundle. But if I
do crack the next thing to get cracked will be the PS3 controller. I don't think
I'll ever want to use it for anything other than resale value. :-)

> AI are ok, no worse or better than any other racing game / sim I
> have tried (eg; most of them). They do tend to stick to the
> racing line, they can crash into you

That sounds very much like LFS. I enjoy that sim but stopped because online seems
to be populated by teenagers, and offline I was plagued by that annoying AI... I
was apparently invisible to them. However I suspect GT5 will be updated a bit more
often than LFS has been (recently) so there's hope that things will improve.

Either way, I find curiosity steadily getting the better of me. As with iRacing
content, I often end up buying things just because I get sick of wondering whether
I should buy it or not! Buyer's remorse is sometimes preferable to endless
dithering. And I'm probably overdue for a console experience. I've never had one of
any kind before (not unless the original Pong "console" on a B&W telly counts).

It'd help if ATI would hurry up and release the 69** series. Then I'd know how much
of this year's savings are going to disappear into a new vid card. If I end up
"saving" money and buying a cheap 5870 instead the PS3 will look a lot more
affordable.

> Did I mention the Nurburgring? Its awesome....(9/10)

Mmm.... 'Riiiing.</Homer>

Andrew McP