Old December 2nd 10, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy[_3_]

Default Anyone got any thoughts on PS3/GT5?

"petergagg" > wrote in message
> On 27/11/2010 07:40, Andrew MacPherson wrote:
>> iRacing has messed with my definition of "far too expensive" so I am
>> tempted by the
>> idea of buying a PS3 just for GT5 and another Ring experience (among many
>> others).
>> So far I've seen quite a lot of comments but there's a really confusing
>> mixture of
>> "it suxs" and "it feels great!"
>>
>> There do seem to be some people finding the driving experience and FFB
>> with a G25
>> quite satisfying (in some of the cars anyway), which is intriguing. But
>> as there's
>> no other reason for me to buy a PS3 I really need some sense slapping
>> into me.
>>
>> Feel free to slap away. :-)
>>
>> Andrew McP

> As a long time "proper" sim fan (mostly pc racing sims) I am very much
> enjoying GT5 on the PS3.
>
> You have to take it for what it is, eg: a console based racing game, and
> once accepted, simply enjoy what it does.
>
> Graphics are great, the premier car models are simply stunning, watching
> replays is quite literally like watching a replay of a real race. Photo
> realistic (almost) lighting, shadows, details, etc. (10 out of 10)
>
> Audio is also good with each car being sampled and surround sound gives
> good effects.(8/10)
>
> Car handling is perfectly fine considering this is a console game, cars
> rise and fall with acceleration, braking, etc, cars can be slid (power
> slides or pendulum turns when rallying, etc) car physics seem perfectly
> acceptable to me. Different models have different handling to suit.
> Rumbles through the controller help with feedback, but a controller is not
> as realistic as a wheel. (8/10)
>
> NB: I am using the standard PS3 controller with GT5, if racing on my pc I
> would of course be using a wheel and pedals, so that takes something away
> from the experience for me, and no matter how hard I try, my partner
> simply will not allow me to have a cockpit setup in the main lliving room,
> so it has to stay in the study with the pc! Maybe I'll move the PS3 into
> the study at some point.... BTW I've read on-line that using a wheel and
> pedals with GT5 is pretty good.

About the cockpit in living room... Wonder what would happen if you tried
replacing your existing coffe table with this? Maybe she wont notice (lol).
Yeah, I think the price is rediculous, but I could build same out of plain
old plywood I think.

("gentlemen! start your coffee tables!") http://www.converttable.eu/

<snip>