Old July 14th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dori A Schmetterling[_2_]

Default Gallons! How to tell the fuel computer to use proper UK Gallon

Exactly. Whatever arguments one may evince in favour of a duodecimal (based
on 12) or binary system the most practical from an everyday point of view is
the decimal. So I say, thank goodness the UK DID change to decimal/metric,
even if it did not change completely when the currency went decimal in 1971.
Weights are now decimal, too, but legal distance isn't. Still, I bet not a
lot of British school children know how many inches or feet there are in a
mile.

In the eurozone countries many businesses, especially smaller,
uncomputerised ones, took the opportunity of the currency change to raise
prices. It was a once-only effect, though. (As they did in the UK when the
currency was decimalised.)

I wonder how many of the proponents of non-base-10 systems would like to see
their currencies revert (as in, e.g. AU, NZ, IN, GB) or go to non-decimal...

I grew up with 20 shillings in the pound and 16 ounces to the pound, but I
don't miss them, even if it's more convenience to say "a couple of feet"
that "several decimetres"...

DAS

---
"Burgerman" > wrote in message
[...]
> Well the intelligent shopkepers and industry in general just took
> advantage of the averagely bright canadian then. You cant blame the
> measurement systems.

[...]