Old October 26th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

Default Help 96 SL-2 no compression

In article >, wrote:
>How would you tell if the valve is stuck and how would
>you get it unstuck. The shop had the valve cover off
>and saw nothing abnormal.

There wouldn't necessarily be anything to see if the engine was stopped.

In order to make sure that the valve train is working properly, you need to
watch it while the engine is turning (being cranked by the starter, not
actually running) and make sure that all the valves move the right direction
at the right time.

Having said that... I've never heard of a valve just "getting stuck". The
return spring is pretty damn strong. I've heard of valve springs breaking.
I've heard of valve lifters breaking, and hydraulic lifters collapsing.
(Not an issue on a Saturn, with an OHC engine.) I've heard of valves breaking.
But I've never heard of one just getting stuck.

A broken valve spring *should* be visible with the valve cover off. Depending
on where and how it broke, though, it might be pretty hard to see unless
you're looking in exactly the right place. At least you know which cylinder to
look at.

There's another explanation for the problem, too, but you don't want to hear
this: broken piston rod.

--
Regards,