Old December 29th 10, 11:57 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default C4 rear hatch weatherstrip

"CardsFan" > wrote in message
> OK, one of my Christmas wishes was granted and I got new
> weatherstrip for the hatch. Any suggestions on the install? Seems
> to be fairly straightforward from what I've been able to find
> online, but it never hurts to hear from someone who's actually done
> it.
>
> AJM
> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

I've done many doors and windows but not a C4 rear deck seal but I'm
guessing that it is glued in place. The basics with any seal/weather
strip is to start with clean surfaces. Mark the deck lid for center
both front and rear on masking tape out of the glue area. Do the same
with the seal but use chalk to mark the rubber, masking tape will
sometimes pull the face of the seal off, not a good thing.

Start at the top and glue down the first 1/4 of the length on one
side, then do the other side. Check each time you glue it down to see
if the centerline marks still line up and you're not developing to
much slack or to little. If not correct by slowly pulling the
offending part free enough to correct the centerlines by compressing
or slightly stretching the seal.

The seal can be held in place with masking tape that you have put
another piece of tape on it glue to glue so that it has the back of
the tape on the seal so it does not stick to the seal. Pressure point
can be accomplished by cutting a piece off the old seal and putting it
under the masking tape.

Use the 3M adhesive in black or yellow for the best results.

Good luck