Old October 8th 10, 07:48 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Default 156 on the blink

Dave Savage wrote:
> "Malcolm Osborne" > wrote in message
>> "Malcolm Osborne" > wrote in message
>>> 156 2.0TS - driving along, revs go up briefly, then engine dies. Turning
>>> ignition key causes starter motor to go `whirr', but no effect on engine.
>>> Doesn't sound like cambelt - that would be more dramatic?
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on root cause, before car is towed to agent? Was due to
>>> go there in near future for service, inc cambelt change.
>>>
>>> --
>>> regards,
>>> Malcolm Osborne
>>> Sedgefield, South Africa
>>> 156TS - 1999 - 279655Km

>> Unfortunately turns out to be the cambelt that went - usual small fortune
>> to fix!
>>
>> The cambelt was last changed at 220 000Km (136700m), now its coming up for
>> 280 000Km (174 000m). Thats 60 000Km (37282m) service life. Its supposed
>> to be well within the recommended distance.
>>
>> I presume the difference is that I'm not using the car so much these
>> days - it was last done in 2005. Would a cambelt deteriorate even if not
>> used?
>>
>> The repair quote is R19 000 - ~ £1727. How does that compare to UK prices?
>>
>> regards,
>> Malcolm Osborne
>> Sedgefield, South Africa
>> 156TS - 1999 - 279655Km
>>

> Eeeeekkkkk !!! Just spotted the £1727. I reckon that's at least twice
> what the car is worth, so I assume you're intent on driving it into the
> ground, or at least until it becomes "un-fixable". I'm in the same
> situation, though I need to do a few more miles to catch up with you. Good
> luck with the repairs !

I kind of assumed that a sane person would go with dropping another
engine in, having had the belts changed on the bench where it's much
easier and cheaper.
Ebay seem to be listing 2.9 TS for about £350-£400, but Autlolusso are
offering a Cambelt repair for £850

230395927693 if anyone is interested.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk