Old January 22nd 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 89 Accord Batt Light (Please Help!)

madman1991 wrote:
> Ok, I am here seeking technical help in diagnosing a specific problem
> with the charging system in my car.
>
> I have an 89 Honda Accord DX, carbureted.
>
> My battery light has been coming on intermittently. This weekend, I
> installed a new battery, a new alternator and a new fuel pump. This
> morning I was driving to work. At one point, the light flashed on and
> off with the blinker light. Eventually it stayed on. If I turned off
> all the accessories, then it would go out, until I got closer to work,
> then it stayed on. I noticed all my lights were dimming, like the
> battery was being drained. After I arrived to my parking spot, I shut
> it off, and tried to restart it. It would not start, barely cranking
> over...
>
> So, my if battery is new and the alternator is new, why would my
> battery be dead after a short (20 minute) drive to work? Is there
> something I am missing here?

Sounds like a wiring short of some kind. Either that or one of the
devices on that chain is shorting/grounding out. Being the blinker
was involved a bit, it could even be in the wiring in the steering
column, or thereabouts. I'd do all the tests I listed in an earlier
post, and if still no good, you will have to do current draw tests
to see where the drain is. Something is shorting together, or
grounding out. That draws a lot of current and will knock a
battery down fast.
MK