Old June 25th 12, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Default Civic lug studs

wrote in :

> hammering doesn't seem like a very bright idea,

Hammering works just fine; thje pros do it all the time. Imagine the
pounding the wheel bearing takes in everyday use; you're unlikely to exceed
that as you remove the old stud. The stud is on there with less force than
you might think.

> I think it is the angle with the broken stud verses the new longer
> stud that makes the difference.

That's all it is.

Once you get the new on in place, you use the lug nut and some washers to
pull it all the way on.

> Other comments suggest that you could
> bang it into place, at risk of the threads. And several videos and
> picture posts show some bar resting against the other studs to keep
> the hub from turning. I wouldn't do that for fear of flattening those
> threads. I might use a wooden handled sledge hammer.

Or put the brakes back together again, then have a helper step on the pedal
to hold the disk while you pull the stud in place.

--
Tegger