Old June 25th 12, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Civic lug studs

jim beam > wrote:
> it's very important to press it out, not hammer it - hammering brinell's
> the bearings. you can usually rent a press from your local flaps, or
> you can make one from a socket and a c-clamp. the former is a much
> easier option.

hammering doesn't seem like a very bright idea, but some videos show it.
I have some healthy C-clamps and an assortment of sockets, if I have room
to work between the hub and the splash shield, and the other parts that
seem to be in the way. I might even have a combination press/wheel puller
thing-a-ma-bob that's as old as I am, lying around somewhere.

Probably in the same cabinet with my 40 year old impact driver.

> if reinsertion requires a little grinding of a new [full length] stud

I think it is the angle with the broken stud verses the new longer stud
that makes the difference. Other comments suggest that you could bang it
into place, at risk of the threads. And several videos and picture posts
show some bar resting against the other studs to keep the hub from turning.
I wouldn't do that for fear of flattening those threads. I might use a
wooden handled sledge hammer.