Old December 24th 11, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

Default this is what happens if

>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293977
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293973
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293969
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6547293959
>>>
>>> these from a dead civic d15 engine with a blocked oil pump pickup
>>> strainer.

>> Who's car? I know it is not yours. I've never actually seen anything that
>> bad, although I've heard stories about things like that.
>>
>> Ed
>>

> Back in the 60's that was what the top end of every Ford small 6
> looked like.

there are two main approaches to engineering and manufactu

1. design something to do a certain job, then try to cheapen it up so it
still works, but costs less to make.

2. start with the cheapest crap you can find, then try to figure out how
to make it do a certain job.

most manufacturers use the first approach. frod use the second.

and they're quite "good" at it. they simply cut it a little too fine in
that case. but hey, back in the 60's, most customers were conditioned
to take the cost of maintaining unreliable detroit garbage up the ass
without complaint, so it wasn't like frod had made a "mistake" relative
to their financial/expectations landscape.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum