Old March 17th 10, 11:04 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Default I don't like this wine

GT wrote:
> "Zathras" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 22:40:05 +0000, Catman
>> > wrote:

>>> Won't make any difference. It spins all the time, and is turned on and
>>> off my a magnetic clutch IYSWIM.

>> One of many reasons I ditched my old 156 was that the A/C pump
>> bearings were on the way out. When the compressor was turned on with
>> the button, there was a very noticeable grumble from the compressor.
>> When off, nothing. I guess it was bearings on the other side from the
>> clutch or that the clutch bearings needed loading to reveal their
>> wear. It was an LF grumble not a whine though.

> I just tried turning my AC on and off - no change in noise, so it ain't
> that!

No really, the compressor spins all the time. Or at least part of it does.

> I found this picture of the JTS engine, from behind (!!)...
> http://www.alfaromeo.com.hk/img/engines/jts-engine.jpg

Ahh hell it's a JTS no matter.

> The part at the front of the aux belt, that we can't really see too well
> (furthest right on the image) is my suspect part and I think it is a water
> pump -

Nope that's the aircon. Water pumps are built into the engine blocks and
don't have refrigerant either.

I now realise that the alternator is low down behind the engine -
> clearly visible in this image. Water pumps seem to be much cheaper and
> easier to replace than alternators on the JTS! How long do water pumps
> usually last?

As long as the cambelt. They are driven by the cambelt and replaced at
the same time because if they bust, they strip the cambelt and the
enginn implodes. That is *not* the waterpump. I can't see it on that
picture.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk