Old June 8th 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 95 Honda Civic Hesitation/shaking when accelerating

In article .com>,
"Jacob" > wrote:

> SYMPTOMS: car hesitating, shaking and misfiring on acceleration in
> every gear, smoothing out at higher RPM. the behavior worsened as the
> engine heated up.
>
> CAUSE: faulty (old and worn) spark plugs that were well past their
> expiration.
>
> SOLUTION: replace them with new ones.
>
> NOTES: well, it was the spark plugs. I don't feel bad about replacing
> the fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor as well though, and I still
> might replace the wires because these are all parts that needed
> replacing anyway. Plus, the problem with my car not starting after a
> heavy rain was not likely caused by bad spark plugs. I have yet so see
> if that still occurs. I did the water spray test though and I didn't
> notice a change. I also might need to set my idle speed. My car seems
> to be idling at lower RPM than it did before I changed the distributor
> cap and rotor. I would like to check the timing and do anything else
> that might increase my gas mileage.
>
> Thank you all so much for your help. I can't tell you how much I
> appreciate it.

If there's no knock sensor just advance the timing a small bit each week
until the engine sometimes buzzes or growls, then turn it back until it
always runs quietly. Otherwise have a shop to it for a few dollars and
let the knock sensor do the fine tuning itself.