Old November 6th 17, 03:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
RS Wood[_2_]

Default What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

wrote:

> ANY mechanical damage fails the rotor on DOT test. Some smoth wear is
> allowed - but you NEVER install new pads on rotors that have an uneven
> friction surface because it is virtually impossible to properly bed
> the new pads to the uneven rotor withot localized overheating
>
> At the price of rotors today even on your Bimmer, it just is not
> worth it. The pads cost more than the rotors on MOST vehicles today.
> No reputable shop will do it because comebacks are expensive - and
> real mechanics KNOW the comebacks will happen if they do something
> stupid like installing new pads on badly worn rotors.

Rotors are cheap. $50 for Brembo or Myle.
I measure runout. I measure thickness. I measure thickness variation.
I look at scoring. I look up the specs when I need them.

In practice, it's pretty simple:
1. Replace the OEM Jurid/Textar pads with $35 Axxis/PBR FF equivalents.
2. Measure the thickness of the existing rotor
3. If it's too thin, replace with Meyle/Brembo for $50/wheel

I don't blame any shop for replacing *everything* they can.
The more they replace, the more they make and the less people come back.

That's just logic.