Old November 6th 17, 03:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
RS Wood[_2_]

Default What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Doubt you'll believe it anyway.
>
> https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/what-is-brake-fade/

It's marketing bull**** and it's track related, but it has nuggets inside
it just like all bull**** does.

For example, it's interesting they don't mention the rotor (but of course,
they're selling pads) when they say "Brake fade is caused by overheating of
the brake pad".

It's also interesting they talk about 'green fade' which makes sense since
a more complex look at friction reveals that there is a microlayer of pad
deposition on the rotor which "covalently bonds" in a way that I don't
completely understand, with the hot pad, where *breaking* those chemical
bonds adds to friction but only after a good bedding occurs.

They skip all that, and concentrate on water, surface area, and volatiles,
but I think the early fade is due more to the lack of covalent bonding than
anything else.

I gotta run so I'll get back to this, but it's a typical marketing job
trying to make believe they're being scientific when they don't mention
even once the pad ratings nor the word "warp", but I have to go before I
finished it as I have to pick someone up at the airport.