Old June 9th 12, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

Default 98 Civic Ex - Wiper Problem

On 06/06/2012 06:01 PM, Tegger wrote:
> Big > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 6/5/2012 9:52 PM, Tegger wrote:
>>> Big > wrote in
>>> news:jqm523$gdp$1 @dont-email.me:

>>> Is this a 2-door model?
>>>

>> 2-door
>>

> There is a TSB out on this very problem.
>
> TSB 00-031 says the park-position reed-switch inside the motor is broken.
> The cure is replacment of the motor.

ok, but how is this relevant to whether it's a 2-door? the tsb list of
affected vehicles is for u.s.-produced, both 2 and 4 door
configurations. and i've never seen a honda where they differentiate on
componentry at that level.

> Those motors are pretty pricey, new. You may be able to find a used one at
> a wrecking yard, or at www.car-part.com
>
> If you're feeling adventurous, you may want to try pulling the motor apart
> and see if you can McGyver-up some sort of DIY fix for the reed-switch.

reed switches can be very problematic. apart from the difficulty in
finding one the right size, their glass envelope can be disappointingly
easy to break while trying to manipulate in a retrofit situation. if
this were a vintage vehicle with no parts available and this was the
only repair option, go ahead. but frankly, it's much easier to simply
replace the motor for a few bucks from a junkyard. [depending on
whether the donor is a 2 or 4 door. not.]

--
fact check required