Old June 7th 12, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Default 98 Civic Ex - Wiper Problem

Big Brother > wrote in
:

> On 6/5/2012 9:52 PM, Tegger wrote:
>> Big Brother > wrote in
>> news:jqm523$gdp$1 @dont-email.me:
>>
>>> Problems with windshield wipers..
>>>
>>> With the multi-function switch in the OFF position; wipers run on
>>> low speed. Will not shut off at all. Have to turn ignition off to
>>> stop wipers. Wipers will stop at any point on the windshield when
>>> ignition is turned off. Have to have pulled the fuse to stop wipers
>>> when driving.
>>>
>>> With the multi-function switch in the INTERMITTENT position; wipers
>>> run on low speed.
>>>
>>> With the multi-function switch in the HIGH position; wipers run on
>>> high speed.
>>>

>> Is this a 2-door model?
>>

> 2-door

There is a TSB out on this very problem.

TSB 00-031 says the park-position reed-switch inside the motor is broken.
The cure is replacment of the motor.

Those motors are pretty pricey, new. You may be able to find a used one at
a wrecking yard, or at www.car-part.com

If you're feeling adventurous, you may want to try pulling the motor apart
and see if you can McGyver-up some sort of DIY fix for the reed-switch.
I've never done this, myself, so you're on your own on that one.

--
Tegger