Old July 31st 07, 06:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

Default MAF in backwards

On Jul 29, 2:19 am, wrote:
> On Jul 28, 10:35 pm, clifto > wrote:
>

> > wrote:

> > > it actually runs no differently when its in backwards

> > Seriously, what are the arrows for?

> > --
> > "Liberals used to be the ones who argued that sending U.S. troops abroad
> > was a small price to pay to stop genocide; now they argue that genocide
> > is a small price to pay to bring U.S. troops home."
> > -- Jonah Goldberg

> the arrows are for direction of air flow. it makes no difference in my
> 1997 suburban with a 5.7- Hide quoted text -

Now that you've mentioned a make and model we can continue. I haven't
looked at that style in quite a while, but I don't think that it has
any (significant) asymmetrical airflow paths inside. Also it is
unusual in that it *can* be turned around. I still wouldn't use it
backwards unless it was for some sort of testing. The MAFs I see on a
daily basis can't be installed backward in their air boxes.
Furthermore, there is a designed in 'windbreak' for lack of better
terminology that would surely interupt intended airflow patterns
around the two sensor elements if it were oriented wrong.

Toyota MDT in MO