Old October 29th 11, 04:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Default FFB (new development)

Mario Petrinovic:
> GaryR:
>> >Mario Petrinovic:
>>> I just went to Lime Rock with Legends, and saw a lot of people
>>>spinning. The difference between Damper and Centering Spring induces
>>>those
>>>spins, so I would suggest to make those two the same.

>> And here I have been thinking a spin is caused by too much speed, bad
>> use of throttle, or wrong steering inputs!

> You can spin like that, or you can spin just turning into a corner
> at normal speed, because wrong FFB fools your senses into doing wrong
> things.
> BTW, I still didn't find time to test (I am too tired now, coming
> back from work), but from little test of Spring the previous day, it could
> very well be that the right setting for Spring on my system is 128%. If
> this is the case, then this would mean that iRacing locked Spring also at
> 75%, because 128 x 0.75 = 96. We know that Damper was also locked at 75%,
> but iRacing reverted it back to 100%.
> This 75% lock only confused things, because with this lock the
> right settings for my system should be 128/128/96 (because Centering
> Spring wasn't locked at 75%), and this is far from the default
> 100/100/100. I am looking forward in a few days to find out if this is so.

Ok, here it is what happened.
It looks like Spring isn't locked at 75%. It looks like, for the
most "realistic" feel Spring and Damper should be both at 100%. Centering
Spring, while it worked well at 96% when Spring and Damper were 0/96, it
doesn't work well at 96% when Spring and Damper are both at 96%. It does
work well though at the setting I determined with Damper and Spring both at
0%, and this is 22% on my system. So, now I am using 100/100/22. I also
matched the Overall with what I like, so now I have 118/100/100/22
(Centering Spring unchecked, and everything else unchecked).
Well, this is it, I tried everything, and I cannot do better than
this. Now I will start to race, I hope it will be "truetful" to me when I
start to work on car setups (which I will not do right now, first a little
bit rookie racing, : )), which is the main reason why I tried to find the
most "true" FFB settings in the first place, so that I can feel the best
what is happening within the car.

Mario