Old December 6th 04, 07:13 PM
maxpower

Thats just two funny, the reason why your belt is falling off is because it
needs a tensioner, its wore out!! when the belt is at an angle and water
hits it, dont you think it will slide off??? Get real pal, dont blame
Chrysler for your ignorance... when your tires wear out do you think
Goodyear will recall them??? Are you gonna get mad at auto zone now because
they sold you a faulty belt that slides off in the rain? <<<< I guess this
is the crux of the problem.
Many folk seem to trade the van off because they won't dare let the wife or
daughter drive it around because they fear that they will get stranded.<<< I
wonder how many husbands put there wives out in a car knowing that a
tensioner is bad??? this is just to funny..>>>>>>> wonder how widespread
this problem is, and what the folks on this group
> have been doing about it?<<<<<< I would say that the ones that see the

tensioner is faulty would replace it before sending someone back out on the
road.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

"Jim Candela" > wrote in message
m...

> Hi,
>
> My 1999 Caravan has been wonderful for 82,000 miles. My only real
> complaint was about the brakes until last week. While taking my kid to
> school in the rain, the serpentine belt popped off. It was original, and
> still looks pretty good to me. I replaced the belt anyway, and learned a

few
> things:
>
> 1.) The AutoZone de-tensioner that they rent is a POS, and I did better

with
> a ratcheting box end 15 mm wrench with a cheater bar over the other end.

The
> trick is to get the tensioner retracted enough before the tool hits an
> obstruction. The AutoZone tool could not do that.
>
> 2.) The internet is full of Dodge hating folk that lose their serpentine
> belts whenever it gets a little wet. Apparently there was never a recall,
> and all a dealer will do is replace parts where the fault appears to be in
> the design. The only sure thing after servicing the problem is the bill

will