Old August 5th 08, 07:24 AM posted to alt.autos.antique,rec.autos.antique
Dave D

Default 1950 Buick Special starts, idles, but dies when given gas...

"ClubHabel" > wrote in message
news:1122654_2043ae3653d19ff794f7d54ed1a1deeb@auto forumz.com...
> From an idle, the car dies if I give it a lot of gas; however, if I
> slowly try to get the RPM's up, it'll run and I can rev the engine so
> long as the rpm's are up.
>
> Any thoughts on my problem?
>
> I had the carburetor rebuilt, tank resealed, no work to fuel pump,
> could use new plugs and wires, did put on new points, distributor cap,
> coil. But I am by no means an expert mechanic.
>
> --
> Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.AutoForumz.com
> interface
> Thread archive:
> http://www.AutoForumz.com/1950-Buick...ict229133.html

You have gotten several excellent suggestions but try this. If it has a
manual choke, pull the knob out about halfway and see if that affects the
symptoms. If so, then the motor is starving. Too much air, not enough gas.
If it doesn't change anything, check the gap on your points. If they
misgapped or the set screw has loosened up then the points could be the
culprit... Good luck

Dave D