Old September 18th 04, 09:58 PM
Jim Levie

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:52:40 +0000, -=Bones=- wrote:

> The brake light came on (1985 325e) so I checked the fluid and it was at
> the min mark. I kept adding fluid but it wouldn't come up any higher. I
> look inside the car and there is all the fluid in a puddle on the floor
> mat. I notice there is somekind of overflow? or pressure relief hose that
> runs from the reservoir thru the firewall right into the car. It appears
> as if the fluid is running right out of that tube. Is there supposed to be
> some kind of check valve in the reservoir to prevent the fluid from
> running right out of that tube? Any info on this problem would be greatly
> appreciated. I'm hoping maybe I just need to replace the reservoir.
> Thanks,
> Mike

If the fluid was at the min mark I don't think the light would trip. I'd
be more suspicious of a master cylinder failure or worn out break pads.
Have you checked the pads?

And no, there's no overflow hose that leads into the interior of the car.
I can't picture the engine bay of an E30 in my mind and can't remember if
the master cylinder is in the bay or inside of the firewall. But, I think
it is in the engine bay. I think the clutch master cylinder is in the
passenger compartment. Maybe the return hose from the clutch has a fault.
But even so it seems you'd have already known about that...

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.