Old April 23rd 13, 03:52 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,alt.home.repair

Default radiator caps, cooling system pressure

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 21:44:28 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:44:02 -0700, Ashton Crusher >
>wrote:
>

>>It would just change it to the pressure for AC cars. For it's first
>>52 years of use it was without AC. I added AC to it.

>If that is factory spec, it should be OK. OTOH, since it is over 50
>years old, I'd not want to increase pressure if I did not have to.

Actually, the spec is14psi on the 60, but I often put a lower
pressure cap on an older car to protect the rad. If the rad is solid,
and the heater core is solid, and the hoses are good, you should be ok
with the 14 lb cap. But that's a big if.

If the temperature is well under 210F with the air on, you don't need
the heavy cap - and that's not nearly as big an if, generally
speaking.