Old July 30th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Hum after rear-end gear change

On Jul 30, 10:51*am, Michael Johnson > wrote:
> Take the car back and tell him to fix it. *Gears don't whine when
> properly installed. *Also, after he fixes this problem find yourself a
> new mechanic.
>
> 88 Mustang GT Conv. wrote:
>

> > I'm coming to all of you as the experts.

> > I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
> > 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
> > which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
> > 60-90 KM / Hr.

> > I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
> > and should be ignored.

> > Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.

> > The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
> > work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
> > little cost.

> > I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
> > annoying.

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Marc- Hide quoted text -

I had 3.55 gears and trac loc put in my 69 coupe over 3 years ago. The
entire rear end was custom built by a shop that builds ford 9" rears
all the time for drag racing. So I know they know what they are doing.
They test drove it. I drove it home 300 miles. I drive it maybe couple
times a month in the summer time. Its made the whining sound ever
since they were put in over 3 years ago. They work great. Its more
noticable on the highway ofcourse. Im thinking that its fairly normal
for aftermarket gears. Ive never had a problem.