Old January 12th 14, 04:16 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Unquestionably Confused

Default Trickle Charging a C7 battery

On 1/11/2014 9:38 PM, Rufus wrote:
> Smarty wrote:

[snip]

> ...you'd think they'd have been savvy enough provide an exit route for
> such a device...on the C6 and certainly the C7. Seeing as this a
> factory et-al sort of chunk of kit:
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-Accessories-20929740-Battery/dp/B008FCCX9G>
>

> All cheap at half the price...

I'm glad that it's working out for Smarty and agree that if they are
going to put the charging port (actually, it's nothing more than an
"always on" power port inside the vehicle, there should be a way to
connect the damn thing so that you can lock up the car without having to
worry about crushing the power cord.

On my C5, obviously, the cord from the maintainer slips neatly beneath
the weather stripping at the cowl. I don't lock the hood since the car
is stored in a locked, alarmed garage but I could. I just lower it
gently assuring that the underhood light doesn't illuminate

> I find I haven't needed to keep my Z06 on a charger at all...expected to
> given some of the things I've read, but never had a problem with it's
> battery. Other than the fob...

Unless you lay the car up for months at a time (or weeks, in frigid
weather like we've had in the Midwest) you probably won't need it if
stored for less than 10-14 days at a time.

Still, there are enough Corvette fanatics who park their Vette's in
Mid-October never to move them again until April or...

I don't care who they are or where they are, if they leave the battery
in the car it will be DOA when they attempt to start it. Not to mention
the fact that they'll have that puzzled look on their face when they
start to notice seals leaking on the car.

Mine stays on the maintainer over the winter and gets a 10-15 mile run
about every month even over the winter. I just pick a clear, dry day
and go for it.

Lastly, I guarantee you that the Black & Decker and Schauer battery
maintainers I use on my car and lawn tractor are just as fine as
anything bearing the Corvette logo.