Old August 10th 11, 11:33 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

Default Help me diagnose this splutter...

"Catman" > wrote in message
> On 10/08/2011 10:48, GT wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> *maybe*

>> I got a cable and diag software. I found 2 fault codes: P0300 - "Misfires
>> detected (generic) and P0303 - "Cylinder 3 ifnition failures".
>>
>> "The emissions Monitoring system has detected misfires, an Air/Fuel
>> micture
>> problem or other indicators of emissions exceeding the permissible level.
>> Check the plugs, ignition and fuel systems, and the ending mechanical
>> condition, and that the oild level is not too high, or oil change
>> overdue.
>> Defects contribute also to O2 sensor degradeation and premature catalytic
>> converter efficiency loss.
>>
>> The reason for this fault is that the EDU has received very high signal
>> from
>> the sensor. The fault is not is not detected now, but it is stored in
>> memory. Clear fault codes, and observe for future appearance of the same
>> fault. Dashboard warning light was activated for this fault."
>>
>> Sounds like the spark plug or wiring is failing on cylinder 3. I checked
>> out
>> the throttle sensor and whatever I did to the pedal, the software
>> reported a
>> valid position - I couldn't get the graph to flicker or jump at all.
>>

> <fires up babel fish>
>
> That's a bit bloody useless really, isn't it.
>
> 'You've got a misfire, mate' is really what it boils down to.
>
> Having said that, if it's flagging emissions exceeding the permisable
> level, would it be reasonable to assume that it's because the fuel / air
> is not igniting. If there was no fuel, then surely you'd get no emissions
> and then no excessive emissions?
>
> That being the case, I'd look at the plugs and such, but....
>

>> Any thoughts to add?
>>
>> So: My handbrake cable has snapped, cylinder 3 is knackered, the exhaust
>> has
>> shed its outer skin and can't have long left, the air-con gave up the
>> ghost
>> last year, I've spotted a few bubbles in the paint round the edges.
>> Otherwise, all is good in alfa land!

> Super. It's probably hit money pit land, I'm afraid.

Yes. Another 700 miles and I'll hit the magic 100,000. I'm despirate to
reach it on the original exhaust. It would be nice if all the cylinders were
still going too!! Its been misfiring like this for a few years, gradually
getting worse, but its not a major problem from a driving point of view. My
money is on something in the spark or even the injector department. If the
injector isn't working properly, perhaps its dumping too much fuel on one
cycle and not enough in the next. Unlikely I suppose..