Old September 11th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Stude

Default PICS: Edsel- the FLOP heard round the World

On Sep 10, 8:05 pm, Roger Blake > wrote:
> In article . com>, Stude wrote:
> > of their cars, which helped neither marque. Hudson/Nash were going no
> > where with their badge-engineering.

> Actually 1958 was a banner year for American Motors. The old full-size
> Nash/Hudson land yachts had been discontinued, and the company concentrated
> entirely on its compact and economical (for the time) Ramblers. They even
> brought back the discontinued Nash Rambler with a few styling changes as
> the "new" Rambler American for the low end of the market. This played
> quite well in the recession marketplace.
>
> The late 1950s through early 1960s were AMC's good times. By 1961 Rambler
> temporarily displaced Plymouth in the #3 sales position. Things really
> went to pot however when George Romney left the company to pursue a
> political career and his successor, Roy Abernethy, embarked on a suicidal
> course of direct competition with the Big 3.
>
> Studebaker also enjoyed a temporary reprieve from its death spiral with the
> successful release of its compact 1959 Lark.
>
> --
> Roger Blake
> (Subtract 10s for email.)

Thanks for the info on AMC. I was baack a year with my remarks. My Mom
got a 1960 Rambler 4-dr and liked it, trading it in for a '70 Matador,
which was to big for her, but thought it had more room for friends.
Too bad it was a two-door.

I've had a series of Studebakers, rangeing from 1931 to 1964, one of
which is my DD now.