Old September 3rd 09, 05:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.autos,alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
bllsht[_2_]

Default OT Car won't start

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:41:30 -0400, Bill Putney >
wrote:

>Moi wrote:
>> Cross-posted to the groups it should have been posted to in the first
>> place...
>>
>> You're welcome.
>>
>>> Helping neighbor with 1996 Dodge Intrepid. Car quit suddenly while on
>>> highway. Obviously, it won't start.
>>>
>>> Replaced the following: (Auto wrecker lets us return parts for up to 30
>>> days) (We pulled the parts ourselves)
>>>
>>> Cam position sensor
>>> Crankshaft position sensor
>>> Coil
>>> Power train module computer
>>> Auto Shutdown Relay
>>>
>>> We did the above after following all the diagnostics in the Chilton's
>>> manual. BTW, the wires to both sensors (cam & crankshaft) have the correct
>>> signal voltage (9± volts) with ignition on. No spark coming to plugs.

They call that diagnostics? Looks more like the shotgun approach, and
with junkyard parts no less...

Did you try pulling codes before you started throwing parts at it?
With all your f*ing around, there's probably a lot of codes that you
shouldn't believe. Clear the codes (disconnect the battery), then
re-connect and crank it for at least 10 seconds. Then see what codes
you get.

As for the crank and cam sensors, the PCM supplies 8 volts to power
the sensors, and a ground. The signal circuit is a 5 volt pull up
from the PCM that the sensor will pull to near zero volts depending on
whether it's looking at a slot or the metal between slots on the flex
plate or cam sprocket.

With the sensors disconnectedand key on, you should have 8v, 5v, and
ground at the harness connector.

>>> Any and all help diagnosing this would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Ivan Vegvary

>Did you check something very basic like: Did the timing belt break? BTW
>- throw the Chilton's manual away. FSM is the only way to go.

Ditto. Chilton manuals are chit. You'll want the service manual AND
the powertrain diagnostic manual.