Old June 13th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default OK to eliminate the PCV valve?

j wrote:

> I am not a mechanic, but this is in regards to a 1994 Chevrolet Corsica with
> a 6 cylinder engine that has 138,000 miles on it, is still in very good
> condition, and has always had Mobil 1 synthetic oil.
>
> It is my contention that the PCV valve, on an engine this old, is likely to
> decrease the engine life due to the fact that it is introducing contaminants
> into the intake and cumbustion chamber.

Most of the gasses that accumulate in your crankcase are blowby and
originated in your intake manifold or combustion chambers. They will do
minimal harm putting them back in there (unless the blow-by is pretty
serious, in which case the engine is shot already).

--
Paul Hovnanian
If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators