Old November 11th 20, 06:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Slorty

Default should one change the transmission fluid on a E36

On 2012-04-23 15:41:57 +0000, Jeff Strickland said:

> "MushroomNZ" > wrote in message
>> automatic transmission
>>
>> no problems , 90K miles
>>
>> BMW says its for life but . . .

> I've not heard of any problems with an automatic transmission in the
> E36 that are related to the fluid, but the E46s have lots of troubles
> that look like fluid could be part of the problem.
>
> I'd encourage you to go ahead and flush the transmission and torque
> converter, but do not stress about it. Transmission fluid has changed A
> LOT since I was a kid, and it had to be replaced on a pretty regular
> basis. Not only has the fluid changed, but the transmission internals
> have changed too, and the actual work that it does has changed.
>
> I'm a bit of a sceptic about "lifetime" fluid, but I tend to let the
> engineers with mechanical degrees make these kinds of calls. I'd
> suggest that at 90k miles, and no problems, you are in good shape. I
> don't recall that you said which car you have, and which transmission,
> but it is important that you (or whoever does the fluid change) know
> which fluid is specified for your application. The wrong fluid can
> foam-up inside the transmission, and this will lead to an undesirable
> result. The wrong fluid can also have any number of other consequences
> that might actually be worse than leaving the fluid you already have
> alone.

26 years after purchasing my E36 318ic, transmission went. As assumed,
the fluid was changed. Ran like a song after. Now my rear diff is
going. Dang.

But yes, change your fluid. It got viscous and the new rebuild was
super impressive...the difference.