Old March 26th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default sidewall tire cut

In article >,
CanadianCowboy(C) > wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a sidewall tire cut about 2 inches but the tire is fine with no
> loss of pressure.
>
> Should I be concerned.

Yes. Very. Sidewall flex is a major issue here. With a
smaller-than-original thickness of rubber involved, the issue is
magnified. You've got a highway-speed blowout (as in "catastrophic
failure") waiting to happen.

> Should it be repaired or replaced ?

Yes, it should be replaced. As "Immediately" as possible. There's a
reason that a tire place won't "fix" such damage - Namely, there is no
truly effective fix. There are several "fixes", but they're all about as
effective as a band-aid over a slit throat - "it looks OK, but it isn't
dealing with the real issue."

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info