Old September 21st 05, 12:55 AM
Domestos

> How many MPG on average would you get from a 1.6 litre 147?

Not sure but around late 30's very early 40's

> I don't have a car at present but am looking to get something a few
> years old very shortly.

> I am considering a 1.6 petrol 147

Slow and chuggy

> an Ibiza Tdi

Guzzler but fast

> a petrol 1.4 or 1.6 Civic

I get a 1.6 civic SE from work. £40 and 300 miles to the tank (unless you
drive everywhere at 55mph... dont beleive the 44mpg.

>diesel Corolla D-4D. Budget

Never had one ad cannot comment

> between £5k and just over £7k.

If you are willing to stretch to 8k I can sell you a 55mpg 1.9JTD Alfa with
full cream leather. a couple of years old and full service history finished
in black. You can still see it here...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEUS:IT

> What would you go for if you were in my shoes and were choosing
> between these?

Alfa 1.6 is not the best performer, even though it is an alfa I reckon you
will dissapointed with the drive/handling (or thats the feel I get from 147
courtesy cars I drive) i'd stear clear of the civic unless you are looking
at the Type-R Never heard any bodys opinions on a corolla - is that good or
bad? Granny car me thinks like the civic 1.6. Seat TDI would be fun but dont
expect luxury.

>And what about if you were in your own shoes? What cars do you personally
>like at the moment that you would realistically consider for yourself if
>you >were on the market for a new or used car?

a two-three year old Alfa 156 would be top of my list in your boots. Decent
car, better than the 147. You should also consider the Mini - thery're
coming down in price now, and maybe the new fiesta - thats looks kinda cool
in a full kit. The new civic is out soon so you might want to wait a wee
while. That look hot !