Old April 12th 11, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mr.E

Default Automatic vs. Manual transmission

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 08:09:33 -0400, "C. E. White"
> wrote:

>"Mr.E" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 20:33:09 -0500, "hls" > wrote:

>> The new Ford 6 speed auto has no torque converter. It uses a computer
>> applied clutch to start and shifts between two clutch driven gear
>> trains that change the ratios- one for odd, one for even gears.
>> I wonder how the clutch life will be.

>I imagine it will be very good. It doesn't use the sort of clutches used by
>a manual. It uses stacked clutch packs that are hydraulically activated. I
>have a farm tractor with this sort of transmission. After 20 years of hard
>use it is still just fine. And remember "traditional" automatics also
>include clutches that are activated hydraulically. No reason to think the
>clutches in the Fiesta "automatic" will be more failure prone than those.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/01/21...matic-gearbox/

In Europe, Ford currently offers a PowerShift transmission in the Ford
Focus. This PowerShift uses a twin wet-clutch system to handle the
higher torque levels of the 2.0-liter TDCI engine available in the
Focus.

In North America, a dry-clutch derivative of Ford’s PowerShift
transmission will be used for added efficiency and durability. A dry
clutch transmits power and torque through manual transmission clutch
facings, while most automatic transmissions utilize wet clutch plates
submerged in oil. As a result, the dry-clutch PowerShift transmission
does not require an oil pump or torque converter, providing superior
mechanical efficiency.

“A dry clutch is a real sweet spot for lighter vehicle applications,”
said Piero Aversa, manager, Ford Automatic Transmission Engineering.
“PowerShift is more efficient, it saves weight, is more durable, more
efficient and the unit is sealed for life, requiring no regular
maintenance.”

PowerShift, unlike conventional automatic transmissions, does not need
the heavier torque converter or planetary gears. In addition, the
dry-clutch derivative eliminates the need for the weighty pumps,
hydraulic fluids, cooling lines and external coolers that wet clutch
transmissions require. As a result, the dry-clutch PowerShift
transmission can weigh nearly 30 pounds less than, for example, the
four-speed automatic transmission featured on today’s Ford Focus.
--
Mr.E