Old October 29th 18, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

Default Self driving cars and moral decisions-who will live, who willdie?

www.blacklistednews.com

>> My car should protect ME. It should hit whichever target is less likely
>> to injure the occupant. Anything else reflects personal or cultural
>> bias and is inappropriate.

> So, with 3 "target" choices,
> 1 - Hard, immovable object. Your car absorbs full impact.
> 2 - Moderately crushable object. 50/50 split.
> 3 - Soft, deformable object. Target absorbs full impact.
>
> You would choose to run down the group of Nuns escorting children in a
> school crosswalk. Thank you for being such a wonderful Human Being.
> Where do you live? I need to remember not to go there.

<sigh> The question is moot since I will never involve myself with a
self-driving car.

Trusting a machine to make hard moral decisions is stupid. Suppose
there were TWO groups of nuns and children? What about a group of Girl
Scouts? What if they were Boy Scouts? What if they were prisoners
being escorted to the courthouse for arraignment?

Assuming the nuns were actually competent to protect children, they
would NOT step out into the crosswalk until they saw no cars unlikely to
be able to stop in time. Physics is a real bitch sometimes, and god
doesn't suspend her laws just because someone goes to church a lot.

--
Cheers, Bev
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,