Old December 20th 20, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder

Default Tires that actually last

On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 22:31:56 -0600, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

> There is no comparison to Houston's bumper to bumper traffic with
> corresponding slamming on the brakes, making sharp turns, and running
> over road debris

Thanks for answering the question, as my only other option was to use
Google Maps Street View, but I prefer your answer, which I accept.

Given that the test loop is only somewhat realistic (at least it's run on
real roads instead of on a track), I suspect most of us will _not_ get the
mileage stamped on the tire carcass itself (i.e., the TREADWEAR rating).

Of course, miles are _never_ directly stated on the sidewall - they're just
numbers like 100 or 200 or 300, etc., but we care about miles, so I try to
convert the 100 to about 10,000 miles, the 200 to about 20,000 miles, etc.

Me?
o I get 400 TREADWEAR tires and they last about 20K miles

But I drive in what Xeno would agree as "extreme conditions", in that I'm
miles up on a mountain road, so the camber scrub of the inside tire's
outside corner is immense and visible within 100 miles (I've posted photos
of that in the other threads I cited).

The only times miles are "stated" is in the warranty, which, I've found out
the hard way, is almost impossible to make any use of due to the conditions
they specify in the warranty costing more than the price of the tire.
--
Posted as an exchange of dialog about items of knowledge & experience.