Old December 20th 05, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Oil Life

When I purchased by Vue, the dealer gave me the same lame
recommendation. I posted this recommendation here, and a GM engineer
actually took the time to email me about it. There is an explanation of
how the system works at
http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/iss...pdf/3_00_e.pdf (site is
going to be closed at the end of December, so look fast). I was a
little worried, since my Vue didn't call for an oil change in almost
7000 miles. So when I finally changed the oil, I collected a sample and
sent it off for analysis. The lab said it was in good condition and was
good for at least another 3000 miles.

The 3000 mile oil chage fanactics are mostly repeating their
grandfather's wisdom. 3000 mile oil changes have been the
recommendation for years despite the fact that oil is much better how
and engines are much much better better now. The removal of lead from
gasoline, good PCV system, better air filters and, most importatntly,
fuel injection have all worked to reduce the amount of contamination
that is added to the oil At the same time, the oils have been improved
greatly. Modern oils are far superior to the oil from even 15 years
ago. Yet, some people continue to claim you must change your oil every
3000 miles or your engine will die. Well it just isn't true for most
vehicels (apparently it is if you own a Toyota). Mostly the 3000 mile
oil change chat is designed to rransfer moeny from your pocket to the
pocket of the oil change places.

Ed