Old September 3rd 07, 04:02 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Default OEM Tires, Optional OEM tires, and totally off-the-wall tires

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 08:32:05 -0500, * wrote:

> Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/ wrote in article <Z3QCi.2457$es2.868@trndny09>...
>> On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 20:32:48 -0700, EdV wrote:
>>
>> > Did you use the same tire pressure?

>> Um, somewhat...
>>
>> The old tires were rated for 44 PSI, I kept them at ~40.
>>
>> These are rated for 35, and they are at 35.
>>

> Given the size tire you're talking about, I would tend to believe that you
> are running them WAY overinflated for the size car they are mounted on. No
> wonder they don't feel right!
>
> Try running them at the car manufacturer's recommended pressures.
>
> BTW - The figure on the tire sidewall isn't the tire pressure "rating". It
> is the MAXIMUM pressure to be used when subjecting the tire to its MAXIMUM
> loads.
>
> Normal, every day tire pressures are usually quite a bit lower.

I always run my tires at or near full rated pressure. Have been for years!
I have never had any serious tire issues, and I get an extra mile or two
per gallon. I don't mind the ride (actually, I like the 'seat of the
pants' feel from fully inflated tires...)

I have had a couple sets of the tires I put on the Mazda, Akuret
Performance, made by Ohtsu in Japan. Very good tire. I have always run
them at max pressure, and have had no problems with them!