Old July 28th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Help with Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Brake Upgrade

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport that I purchased new and I'm looking
to upgrade the brakes. The vehicle has 132,000 miles, but I believe I
can get another couple years out of the old gal because she still runs
strong.

I use my 2005 Grand Cherokee (Rocky Mountain ed) to pull my boat, but
my wife "encouraged" me to buy a pop-up camper, so I'd like to use my
old XJ to pull it. It's only 2,800 lbs, but my current XJ brakes suck
(always have more or less for towing), so I'm looking for any advice
on upgrading.

Has anyone here done any brake upgrades on their XJ? If so, what have
you done? Should I replace the master cylinder, upgrade the rear
drums to disc brakes, something else? I have standard size tires on
the Jeep and don't plan to upgrade to oversized anytime soon.

I'm lost in high weeds and looking for help! Thanks.

Kevin