Old December 29th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Default A little long before firing up - family trademark or is my car a little sick?

Bruno > wrote:

> XS11E wrote:
>>
>> I don't know if it's important. I was thinking if it started
>> right up after running awhile but took a long time after sitting
>> overnight a leaky valve in the fuel pump might be allowing fuel
>> to drain back into the tank so there wouldn't be enough pressure
>> in the fuel rail for an instant start but that seems unlikely if
>> it's not a big difference.
>>

> Hmm, it sounds like a possible theory. If one imagines there is
> only so far the fuel can drain back it could very well be that
> certain level of delay is reached after like a day or so and that
> the level won't change much more regardless of time. This is total
> speculation on my part as I really know to little about these
> things.

The pressure in the fuel rail is around 35 - 40psi for most cars, if
the pressure drops too far the car can't start until the pressure comes
back up which is why I was asking about the time involved. *IF* one of
the check valves in the pump isn't seating properly the bleedback could
be very slow...

>> Looking at real obvious stuff.... how old are the spark plugs and
>> plug wires?
>>

> Plugs was changed at the big service this summer but that did not
> change anything. The plug wires could be the original 1999 ones or
> they could be little more than a year old - I must admit to buying
> a car without a service history so many things are pure guess
> work.

Stick on new wires, you MAY see an inprovement if they're old or at the
very least you'll have a starting date for future changes.

You can test the wiring if you can find a very dark night or very dark
place to park, just start the car, raise the hood and watch around the
plug wires for pretty blue sparkles, if you see any the wires are bad.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org