Old December 20th 09, 06:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

Default Corvette Flyby at 198 mph ; skillful driver or completely nuts ? You decide.

"Blue C5" > wrote in message
On Dec 13, 10:09 am, " >
wrote:

Skillful driver or completely nuts. I would vote for nuts. If one of
those cars in the right lane checked their rear view mirror, did not
estimate the Corvette's speed, and pulled out, the Corvette would be
toast.

I was teaching my son to drive and was explaining relative speed as we
were going 10 MPH on an interstate. I explained that you should go no
more than 20 in the fast lane when cars are slowed down for one reason
or another. Right after I said that, an RV pulled out and a Honda
Accord doing fifty caught him right in the side, bounced off the guard
rail and stopped about 20 feet from us. "See what happens?" I said.
Better than a video in a class room.

Update. Son so far has been an excellent driver. During his
training, I challenged him with tasks while he is driving like "turn
on the lights," change the radio station," "put on the wipers," etc.
while changing lanes or doing some other maneuver. He learned to keep
his eyes on the road and to feel for the controls. His mother wanted
to ride along on his final exam where he was given these tasks while
merging in on the "mixing bowl" (the intersection of I95 and I495 in
Wash, DC. His mother really added to the challenge with her outbursts
as this was going on. He did fine.

The unexpected can always get you -- like the driver on an interstate on a
dark night without lights. I almost bought it in the mid 60s driving a 64 E
Jag at around a 100 on what I though was a deserted highway outside of
Laredo TX -- one old truck -- no lights right in front of me. Had I been in
anything but the E with Goodyear blue streak tires -- I would have lost it
completely trying to avoid the guy. My girl friend beside me was struck
speechless.