Old May 17th 04, 02:16 AM
richard hornsby

I'm thinking that the 2000SL2 is the same as the 1998SL2 ... if so:

There is a cowl which goes over the top and down the sides behind the
center cluster. On the each side of the cowl there is a fastener - use
a small blunt object (I usually use the end of a clickity ink pen) to
press on the center of the fastener until it clicks once. You should
then be able to reach behind the cowl and pull it out gentley - just
enough that you can pull the fasteners out.

Attached to the top of the cowl is the defrost/foglamp switch. On the
underside of the cowl there are two tabs which need to be pressed in
(kind of at the same time) to detach the switch from the cowl. Set the
cowl aside, and look under the two center vents for the bolts which hold
the frame for the factory stereo in. I believe they are 5/32". (or
9/32, I can't remember offhand). Careful not to lose those bolts. On
each side of the steel frame are two metal tabs which need to be pressed
in to slide the frame and the stereo toward you. Slide gently, and when
you get it out far enough, you can disconnect the antenna. There is a
tab holding together the two blocks for the wiring harness.

Most aftermarket stereos will not use the steel frame your factory
stereo is in, so you can keep it all in one piece.

To put the fasteners back in, make sure the holes in the cowl are lined
up. Remove the center piece (the pin) of the fastener first (I find it
is easier to back the pin out of the outer ring than to push it
through.) then put the outer piece back in its proper hole. Once you
have the outer piece in place, push the pin of the fastener until it
clicks (twice maybe?) and is flush with the outer piece.

If you break the fasteners, it isn't the end of the world - they're only
a couple of bucks at the dealership, but the rattling gets annoying fast.

HTH
-rj
98SL2