Old November 14th 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

Default '98 Explorer V8 Spark Plug Replacement?

Not an expert on Motorcraft plugs, but those don't seem to be platinum at
all. Which doesn't mean that they are bad - platinum buys you longevity, not
much else. Search this group for old wars about plugs, and you will find a
lot of information - and a lot of disagreement...
As for wires, I seriously doubt that visual inspection will reveal anything.
Perhaps under a microscope... The two that failed on me looked just perfect.
Measuring resistance (as suggested by some manuals) is also futile, because
it's typically the conductor that fails. The usual failure mode is breakdown
of the insulation in some weak spot (probably a manufacturing defect),
causing arcing to the nearest metal. Some can see that in the dark. I happen
to have an oscilloscope, so that's what I use, but this is certainly an
overkill for the average shade tree mechanic.